The links below may be affiliate links. If you shop through them, I’ll earn a commission at no additional cost to you. For full information, please see my disclaimer here.
This post focuses on the different adopt a sea turtle programs all over the world. It lists the different organizations you can support to help save sea turtles.
The sea turtle is one of the most loved creatures of the ocean. Humans love sea turtles so much that for centuries they’ve been hunted for their meat and shells. Able to live for up to 100 years, the sea turtles face various threats throughout their lives.
Humans have caused the destruction of the sea turtles’ habitats. The development of coastal areas has disturbed the breeding process of sea turtles. The reefs where they feed are either bleached or destroyed. And many sea turtles have died by getting entangled in fishing nets or by ingesting pieces of plastic in the ocean.
There are seven species of sea turtles, namely, the Loggerhead Sea Turtle (Caretta caretta), Kemp’s Ridley Sea Turtle (Lepidochelys kempii), Flatback Sea Turtle (Natator depressus) Green Sea Turtle (Chelonia mydas), Olive Ridley Sea Turtle (Lepidochelys olivacea), Hawksbill Sea Turtle (Eretmochelys imbricata), and Leatherback Sea Turtle (Dermochelys coriacea). All of them are endangered species that need our protection.
If you would like to help save the turtles, you can symbolically adopt a sea turtle. While you will not be receiving a real live sea turtle in your mail, sea turtle adoptions mean you are supporting an organization that does care for them.
These marine conservation groups have made it their mission to protect sea turtles through various research, education, conservation, and rescue programs. They are among the best sea turtles foundations that encourage you to get involved.
For an affordable adoption fee, you, your family or friends, can sponsor a sea turtle, hatchling, or nest that needs your help. Companies or other organizations can also adopt a sea turtle if they would like to engage in philanthropic efforts. These symbolical adoptions are unique gifts for sea turtle lovers.
Here are 10 sea turtle adoption programs you can support today.
- 1. Sea Turtle Conservancy – Adopt a sea turtle and track it
- 2. Loggerhead Marinelife Center – Adopt an injured or sick sea turtle
- 3. World Wildlife Fund WWF – Adopt a sea turtle hatchling
- 4. Oceanic Society- Adopt a sea turtle species
- 5. Mote Laboratory and Aquarium- Name and track a sea turtle
- 6. Olive Ridley Project- Adopt a sea turtle in the Maldives
- 7. Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire- Adopt a Sea Turtle Nest
- 8. Dolphin Discovery- Adopt a Turtle in Rehabilitation
- 9. Project Biodiversity – Adopt a baby turtle in Cabo Verde
- 10. Karen Beasley Sea Turtle Rescue & Rehabilitation Center- Adopt a rescued turtle
1. Sea Turtle Conservancy – Adopt a sea turtle and track it
“It is the mission of Sea Turtle Conservancy to ensure the survival of sea turtles within the Caribbean, Atlantic and Pacific through research, education, training, advocacy and protection of the natural habitats upon which they depend.”
Why you’ll love to Adopt from Sea Turtle Conservancy:
- Each sea turtle sponsorship includes a personalized adoption certificate, a Sea Turtle Conservation Guide, a membership window cling, a sea turtle sticker and bookmark, a hatchling magnet, and a one-year subscription to STC’s membership publication, all in a keepsake sea turtle folder
- Receive a tracking number so you can monitor online where in the world your sea turtle is.
- Choose from 20+ active sea turtles to adopt and track
- Higher donation tiers includes special gifts for sea turtle lovers
- Has exclusive partnership with Fahlo for their bracelets with sea turtle tracking.
Donation Price: $30 to $5000
Read this post to learn more about ocean conservation bracelets that could help save sea turtles!
2. Loggerhead Marinelife Center – Adopt an injured or sick sea turtle
“Your adoption directly benefits the continued care and treatment of our sick and injured sea turtles. It helps provide the food, medication, hospital care and tank maintenance critical to their health. “
Why you’ll love to support this sea turtle adoption:
- Receive a personalized adoption certificate, subscription to a monthly e-newsletter, educational materials, glossy photo stickers for the most basic package
- Choose the sea turtle for adoption that you want to help out
- Other sea turtle adoption packages comes with more gifts and privileges
- You can always stop by and visit your adopted sea turtle at the Loggerhead Marinelife Center in Florida
- Get updates about your adopted turtle’ s medical progress via their website
- Options like Sea Turtle Classroom Adoption, Name a Hatchling Sea Turtle, or Adopt a Sea Turtle Nest are also available
Adoption Price: $40 to $250
3. World Wildlife Fund WWF – Adopt a sea turtle hatchling
“World Wildlife Fond (WWF) works in nearly 100 countries and is supported by more than 1 million members in the United States and more than 5 million globally. Your donation provides general support and makes you a member. 83% of spending is directed to worldwide conservation activities.”
Why you’ll want to support this sea turtle hatchling adoption:
- Their basic sea turtle adoption kit includes an adoption certificate and photo, a species card and gift box.
- You can upgrade your adoption and receive sea turtle plushies in your adoption package
- You can also Donate to WWF and virtual adopt a sea turtle hatchling where the recipient will receive a Sea Turtle Hatchling themed email certificate. This option is great if you want to donate but do not want to receive gifts and trinkets.
- Their simple adoption packages makes great gift for sea turtle lovers
- Options to adopt green sea turtles, hawksbill turtles, loggerhead turtles are also available
Adoption Price: $25 to $100
4. Oceanic Society- Adopt a sea turtle species
“Oceanic Society supports local sea turtle conservation programs worldwide, including efforts to protect nesting beaches, address plastic pollution, improve fishery management, support sustainable livelihoods, and much more.”
Why you’ll love adopting a sea turtle from Oceanic Society
- Your symbolic sea turtle adoption are tax-deductible
- Receive a personalized printed certificate of adoption.
- For US, adoption certificates are shipped for free via USPS. International orders will receive a digital certificate.
- Adopt a sea turtle species of your choice for one year
- Choose from 1 out of the 7 sea turtle species
Adoption Price: $50
Would you like to see turtles in the wild? Check out this post on the Best Places to Swim with Sea Turtles in the Philippines.
5. Mote Laboratory and Aquarium- Name and track a sea turtle
“Mote’s Sea Turtle Conservation & Research Program has tagged sea turtles with satellite transmitters since 2005 to track their behavior and migrations.”
Why you’ll love adopting a sea turtle from Mote
- Money raised from the Adopt a Sea Turtle program directly benefits Mote Aquarium and the animals inside it
- Entry level adoption ($30) includes an adoption certificate, a letter from the caregiver and a photo sent to you via email
- An adoption kit ($100) includes a personalized adoption certificate, a letter from the animal’s caregiver, a photo of a sea turtle with a fact sheet, and a sea turtle plush toy
- For a $5,000 donation, you can also sponsor a turtle that you can name and track
Adoption Price: $30 – $5000
6. Olive Ridley Project- Adopt a sea turtle in the Maldives
“By adopting one of our famous sea turtles, you will help us remove ghost gear, and disentangle and care for more sea turtles. You will also fund both scientific research on sea turtle populations and educational outreach programs.”
Why you’ll love to adopt a sea turtle from Olive Ridley Project:
- Help protect sea turtles and their habitats in the Indian Ocean
- Your digital adoption package includes a personalised adoption certificate, sea turtle digital wallpaper for your phone, A PDF copy of Marine Turtles of the Maldives: A field identification and conduct guide co-written by our very own Dr. Jillian Hudgins, and email updates whenever your sea turtle is re-sighted (for 1 year)
- Choose a sea turtle to adopt in the Maldives or Kenya
- Option to name and adopt a sea turtle
- Option to symbolically adopt a sea turtles that injured or sick
Adoption Price: £20-£100
7. Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire- Adopt a Sea Turtle Nest
“Your donation for our Adopt-A-Nest program helps us to protect the nests that are laid on Bonaire’s beaches in the interests of sea turtle survival. Your support enables us to relocate nests that are in danger of drowning, rescue newborn turtles that become wrapped in roots during hatching, sustain the popular Beachkeeper program, and collect data that will help us protect nests better.”
Why you’ll love to adopt a sea turtle nest in Bonaire
- Choose to adopt 1-10 hatchlings or the entire nest!
- Adopting a hatchling may include adoption certificate, a hatchling photo and a species ID card
- Adopters who choose the entire nest will receive a unique Adopt-A-Nest certificate, and their name and/or logo are displayed on STCB’s Nest-O-Meter
- Encourages groups or companies to support sea turtle conservation projects
Adoption Price: $10-$600
8. Dolphin Discovery- Adopt a Turtle in Rehabilitation
“Your contribution supports our aquaculture team in rehabilitating rescued turtles in Bunbury, Western Australia
Why you’ll want to support sea turtle adoption program with Dolphin Discovery
- Choose from four different levels of sea turtle adoptions suitable for individuals or groups
- Businesses can be actively involved in adopting a specific turtle through their Coroporate Adopt a Turtle Project
- Sea turtles are rehabilated so that they can eventually be released into the warmer waters off Exmouth, WA.
Adoption Price: $50-500
9. Project Biodiversity – Adopt a baby turtle in Cabo Verde
“At the heart of Project Biodiversity’s work is the protection and conservation of the Loggerhead sea turtle, an endangered marine turtle species that nests in Sal, Cabo Verde”
Why you’ll want to adopt a baby turtle in Cabo Verde
- Get a chance to select the name and birthday (hatch date) of your turtle
- Receive an email announcmeent when your turtle is bor with her picture and official certificate
- Symbolically adopt a hatchling for yourself or a loved one
- Choose how much you want to donate to adopt a baby sea turtle
- Option to adopt a nest is also available
Adoption Price: Flexible donation amount
10. Karen Beasley Sea Turtle Rescue & Rehabilitation Center- Adopt a rescued turtle
“The purchase of a sea turtle adoption helps us rehabilitate rescued sea turtles by providing funds to buy food and medicine. This in turn helps them heal and to return home.”
Why you’ll love to support Sea Turtle Hospital
- The standardd adoption comes with a photo of your adopted turtle, an official Adoption Certificate, a species Information Card
- Upgrades are available which includes gifts like a turtle stuffed toy, sea turtle hospital cap and tshirt
- Currently takes care of 3 sea turtles with various health conditions
Adoption Price: $25 – $250
Pin this for later!
Have you adopted a sea turtle before? Do you know of any other sea turtle adoption programs in your own country? Leave a comment below!
The links above may be affiliate links. If you shop through them, I’ll earn a commission at no additional cost to you. For full information, please see my disclaimer here.